What is the Gospel?
"Gospel" is a word that means "good news." What is the good news?
The good news is that:
- The triune God - Father, Son, and Spirit - who is holy made us in His image to know him (Gen. 1:26-28).
- However, we have all sinned and broken that relationship with Him, and as a result are deserving of eternal separation from God (Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23).
- Out of His great love for us, God the Father sent His Son to become a man in Jesus. He lived a perfect life, and died a sacrificial death on the cross, thus fulfilling the law himself and taking on himself the punishment for the sins of all those who turn from their sin and trust in him (John 1:14; Heb. 7:26; Rom. 3:21-26, 5:12-21).
- Jesus rose again from the dead, breaking the power of sin and death over all who trust in Him (1 Cor. 15:20-22).
- God now calls us to repent of our sins and trust in Christ alone for our forgiveness (Acts 17:30, John 1:12).
- If we repent of our sins and trust in Christ, we are born again into a new life, called eternal life or life to the full, that begins now and extends beyond the grave for all eternity. As a result, we are perfect in God's sight, adopted as His beloved children, and filled with the Holy Spirit of God (John 1:12, 3:16, 10:10, 17:3, 2 Corinthians 5:21).
- He is gathering together a new worldwide community called the church, which is made up of people of all backgrounds who acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord (Matt. 16:15-19; Eph. 2:11-19).
Where is the gospel in the Bible?
Romans 1-4 contains one of the fullest expositions of the gospel in all of Scripture, and 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 contains a succinct summary of the gospel.
Why is the gospel important?
- A biblical understanding of the gospel is important because the gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, and it is the only way for sinful people to be reconciled to a holy God.
- Everything a Christian or a church does flows from a proper understanding of the gospel, including relationships, work, preaching, counseling, discipleship, music, evangelism, missions, and so on.
Our deepest desire is that you would believe this gospel by repenting of your sins and trusting in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. If you have done this, or would like to discuss this further, please contact us and we will be in touch.